BRB UK 171: Honster Munter & Frattle Bunt

What ho dear listener, the Big Red Barrel UK Podcast Team are here to chew gum and talk video games (and guess what… they’re all out of gum). Join Dan, Tim and Coleman as they once again chat the biggest news ad reviews in the world of gaming.

This week’s show will consist of your usual rambling goodness, including:

• Codemasters studio closed down
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 stays away from the West
  • Verses Evil play the good guys by erasing Afro Samurai 2
  • Bandai Namco lose out on a big patent
  • Dying Light gets new DLC
  • Destiny gets a refer-a-friend thingamajig
  • More Battlefront and Fallout 4
  • Tim beats Nibblers
  • Dan tries out Lara Croft Go

We appreciate you chaps taking time out of your week to listen to our show.  For your convenience, you can simply download the MP3 by clicking HERE or you can subscribe via iTunes, RSS or Stitcher and stay up to date.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

In terms of the discussions about battlefront.  Sniping people across the map with a pistol is possible on BF4 the deagle and the hand cannons can do it easily and at a far far longer range than battlefront weapons.  Also it’s extremely hard to kill someone at long range with the pistols in battlefront.  The highest damaging pistol (DL-44) is a 6 shot kill at long range.  You can finish people off with them though but again that is possible with any pistol in BF4.

That said the engagement distances of Battlefront are actually much shorters than BF4 there is a lot more close quarter fighting which means you can die fairly quickly.

P.S. What do you mean is spikeychris rubbish Dan 😛 and Coleman/Tim I don’t know what you mean I never swear… (oh and cloudstyle is south african) and I think living in scotland has rubbed off on Alex when it comes to swearing 😀

2. I don’t know if I should be worried about Spikey’s extensive knowledge of weaponry.  I definitely wouldn’t call him rubbish at anything for fear of long range reprisals!

If you think the Battlefront swearing was bad, you should try playing Rocket League with us… But if there were some sort of swearing world championships, then Scotland would easily win that. (Or carry the UK like in the Davis Cup)

3. Rawley

Unflushable said

Not if the referee is South African you wouldn’t.

Happy Saint Andrew’s Day.

4. Rawley’s alive! We all thought you were dead! Why you not been on Rocket League for like a month?!?!?

5. loved the podcast.

I finally started the kingsfall raid en we got as far as the part where you have to charge the door right after the horrible jumpin ships bit. en everytime we just need it one more charge someone did something wrong en got wiped . about 41 times en at the end we were all so dronk we had to stop en try again next sunday. Now i know how dan must have feld. communication is important en as only one did the raid before in our group.

6. Josh

I liked this episode alot, despite me having next to no clue about any of the games you were talking about.

The only thing I can offer is I have played alot of BF4 (maybe too much) so I consider myself pretty informed. And I’m pretty sure I was the only one praying for battlefront to be less star wars, more battlefield. Battlefield 4 has a vast variety of weapons that suit different styles of play, even within a weapon class. Whereas Battlefront (Disclaimer, I only played the beta and watched bigredbuddies) has those vast weapon differences but only because they only have one or two for each class…. as opposed to say battlefields 10.

Now before this rant gets off topic, I understand I’m a lil more pro BF4 because I don’t understand Star Wars that much, and I feel its that lack of nostalgia that helps me see the game as a game, it looks fun but I reckon it’ll go the way of titanfall and evolve… anyone remember them? 🙂

Also, the artwork was my pleasure, I got madly hyped when I saw my twitter feed explode about it.

7. Bakewards

Great podcast boys,

Love it when there is plenty of bickering. Exeter reference to.

Splended show Sirs, salutations to your fine selves 🙂

Bleezeyboy said

I’ve put a lot of time into BF4 (502 hours) and have mastery tags (500 kills) for 46 of the guns and getting mastery tags is one of my favourite things to do in BF4.  That said there are hundreds of weapons in BF4 and a large amount of them are rubbish and/or samey.  The stats are obviously different for each gun so they all handle differently (sometimes not by much though) but the game is pretty bloated in terms of the amount of guns.

Now Battlefront has 11 primary weapons (BF4 comparisons) – A shotgun (which is meh), An assault rifle (ACE23), A higher damage lower rate of fire assault rifle (SCAR-H), a low damage higher accuracy (kind of) LMG (T88), a higher damage less accurate LMG (PKP), a DMR (M39), a kind of DMR with no scope which hits really really hard (iron sights SKS), A 3 round burst very accurate blaster (M16A4).

Now there are also 3 blaster pistols but they aren’t quite like the BF4 pistols as they are primary weapons.  One is full auto and is similar in the way it plays to a carbine in BF4,  One is very hard hitting and is kind of like the deagle but better and one fires 5 round bursts and wrecks people at close range.

Now they could add more guns into battlefront but really they have most of the weapon types covered rather than having lots of very slightly different weapons falling within those types.  You also have to remember the maps are designed completely differently to BF4 which affects the gun play.

I was actually worried about the lack of gun diversity before getting battlefront but after playing it for about 15 hours now I don’t think it is that big an issue.  You pick your starting gun and sometimes it will last you an entire round sometimes you will switch out depending on the situation.  Since there are no unlocks for the weapons themselves there is no need to grind out your favourite sight etc which while I enjoyed in BF4 getting your weapon setup the way you wanted sometimes took several hundred kills and got quite irritating there is not irritation like that in battlefront.

10. I also disagree with Tims point about weapon unlocks and unlocking the weapons in whatever order you like.  The way the progression is setup is so that you will buy and try every weapon as you level (in theory).  If they offered every weapon off the bat with no level restrictions they would need to increase the overall costs of the weapons and this would have affects on the star cards/upgrades etc.

I can entirely see your point and I do not think that the alternative I suggested would actually work that well in the circumstances but the one thing I do know is that I do not like the “better” weapons being locked off until much later in the game, it gives the people who already have the most experience at playing the game an extra advantage and puts me off wanting to grind my way to equality hmmm

But that is all directed at Coleman, so that is okay! thumb

Timely topical international putdown that (although am not sure the three of us could care less about competitive tennis!) tongue

Tim said

12. Josh

spikeychris said

I am very willing to bow down in the presence of my superior 🙂 (I salute, sir)

I’m on around 200 hours with 10 weapons mastered. So you basically translating it to BF4 lingo is actually a real bit help. …..Also, I can’t fault your points, either. So you may have won me over into giving it another go, I may try to get a PS4 bundle come January with it (Seeing as that’s where all the cool kids are these days).

And Dan, just to clarify, I have heard of a stealth poop, but under a different name. It’s west country version is the Ghost poop, its big, its a strain, but flows so perfectly round the U-bend that you question it’s very existence…. I also believe it’s the Ghostbusters’ most common call-out.

Cheers for the episode chaps! The closer Ep. 7 gets and the more things like battlefront build the hype, the more concerned I get that it’s going to disappoint on just the hugest scale hmmm

14. spikeychris said
    (oh and cloudstyle is south african)

Must have been hard for me to tell with the amount of sweary/scottish shouting coming through my headset. tongue

Tim said

Unflushable said

I DON’T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THIS IS!

Aurochs said

That’s a fear I have also, I’m trying to stay grounded so I don’t get too hyped and set up for the big disappointment but STAR WARS!

giphy.gif

HelkillerVladim said
    loved the podcast.

Bleezeyboy said

Bakewards said
    Great podcast boys,

WarMachine said
    Splendid show Sirs, salutations to your fine selves 🙂

Thank you. toothysmile

Coleman said

Aurochs said

giphy.gif

Ermahgerd, stair wers

16. I wouldn’t say the better weapons are locked off until later in the game.  In 15 hours of gameplay I have gotten 10 of the guns (and almost have the last) some of the later ones (like the DMR) are actually awful.  I actually think they have worked the unlocks in an order which the weapons get harder to usethe higher level you get.  The lower level weapons are much easier to use and so are better for starting out with imo.

From using other weapons in the survival mode etc I know that I would prefer to be using the EE-3 and the DL-44, also the bowcaster and other star card weapons that are usual in certain situations/levels are locked off too.

I think this was a lot of (other people’s) problem with the prequels – while the films may have had some issues that I won’t defend, I think people built up impossibly high expectations for them. Looking to manage my expectations atm, if I see anything better than a decent film based in the Star Wars universe I will be (happily) pleasantly surprised happy

Also, that poster is the best thumb

Tim said

The EE-3 is good but isn’t THAT high level.  The DL-44 does take a bit more of a grind to get and is marginally OP however it kicks like an absolute mule and would probably be difficult for new players to control I think that is probably why it is so far down the weapons list.

The bowcaster I haven’t gotten to yet and to be honest I haven’t been killed by yet either so I don’t think a lot of people have/use it yet.

18. CloudStyle

Okay wait a minute….

As much as I love them Scotts, I’m certainly not a Scottsman, not only am I from another country, but a completely different hemisphere.

But I can totally understand how you could misunderstand, they have had a terrible influence on my expression of frustration. Although I am confused on how you confuse a South African accent and a Scottish one!

19. TheBarrelInTheRoom

Fun, informational and a Juggernogging good time Chaps! Made my day listening to this.

Thanks to you all for a great show all the time! Even when your not actually on the show!

5 out of 5 barrels!

I had fairly recently purchased The Taken King for XBox One, and a friend did a refer-a-friend thing within the past week or so, and it worked. Got the armor shader as a result of doing a mission. There are something like 2 missions for lower levels but then the level jumps to 40.