BRB UK 120: You’re Fired

Pip pip! Tim’s gone a bit showbiz this week after his appearance on The Apprentice. Thankfully for the British public’s sanity, he had 15 seconds of fame rather than the requisite 15 minutes. To try and bring Tim back down to Earth, Dan and Coleman walk him through the week’s gaming news.

This week, we prattle on about:

• More SYSTEM UPDATE UPDATES! Woo!
  • Dan is pleasantly surprised by EA Access
  • First details of Halo 5: Guardians’ multiplayer beta emerge
  • PlayStation Vue
  • Just Cause 3 gets confirmed
  • Bloodborne gets delayed
  • Assassin’s Creed Unity gets off to a shaky start
  • Flying pigs ahoy – heists may be finally coming to Grand Theft Auto Online
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox One)
  • Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
  • Freedom Wars (Vita)

We appreciate you chaps taking time out of your week to listen to our show.  For your convenience, you can simply download the MP3 by clicking HERE or you can subscribe via iTunes, RSS or Zune and stay up to date.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

1. Dangerous Brian

Hey all, great show as always. Coleman is doing a fantastic job replacing Jon although the accent needs work. Congrats Tim on your brief televisual fame.

2. Dangerous Brian said

BA MAH BOOOOK!!!

Seiously though, thanks Mr DB thumb

Great show as always guys. Really enjoyed the chat about retro systems and what generation is 1st etc… Also I should be getting on the halo band wagon when the fat man in red is due as I am pretty much saving money for it myself and throwing that at it. Just one thing…i started gaming on the ZX spectrum. Which generation is this? I think 2nd, then Amstrad cpc464(there you go Tim, another reason for you to mention your tv spot).

System update updates now occur with such regularity it seems they should have their own little segment, theme tune and everything.
    Also; JUST CAUSE 3! HELL TO THE YES!!! Not sure I’ve had legitimate excitement for a game in quite a while now… From what’s been seen so far it looks just as cheesy, explosiony, and 80s action film-y as the second, but bigger. Cannot wait :D

Thanks for the ep, was a good one :)

5. Here is the survey for member of the community, Bleezeyboy, that I mentioned on the show.

Takes 5 minutes and contains no personal data questions just stuff about videogames. Appreciate anyone helping out that can. thumb

The discussion about retro consoles was fantasic! I still have my gameboy from my childhood with tetris and it still works! The first console I remember playing is the super nintendo, Super mario world was an obsession for me lol

Also I just completed the survey.

7. Dangerous Brian

I owned a Master System first (Which came out in the UK less than a month before I was born) but over the years I have owned/played older. I still remember playing Alex the Kidd (That built in game) when I was stupidly young.

Here is a weird gameing story. Someone actually traded me a Original Gameboy (see: House Brick) for a Charizard card. The card was ruined by the way, most of the foil was missing.

I too have also done thy servey Mr. Bleeze…..

Done the survey too. My retro to now:
    Spectrum
    Amstrad
    Mega drive
    N64
    Playstation
    Psp/Gba
    Ds
    Gamecube/xbox/ps2 (I managed to get them all)
    Xbox 360/Wii
    3DS
    That seems like alot

9. Ridcullys Hat said
    Done the survey too. My retro to now:
    Spectrum
    Amstrad
    Mega drive
    N64
    Playstation
    Psp/Gba
    Ds
    Gamecube/xbox/ps2 (I managed to get them all)
    Xbox 360/Wii
    3DS
    That seems like alot

My overall console list would probably need its own forum :P

BTW, I refuse to refer to PlayStation and Nintendo 64 as Retro! hmmm

Dangerous Brian said

I Love Alex Kidd in Miracle World (to the point I once paid about £100 for a PAL cartridge copy), I’ve been wanting to do a let’s play on with it for about a year now though.

10. Dangerous Brian

Ridcullys Hat said
    Done the survey too. My retro to now:
    Spectrum
    Amstrad
    Mega drive
    N64
    Playstation
    Psp/Gba
    Ds
    Gamecube/xbox/ps2 (I managed to get them all)
    Xbox 360/Wii
    3DS
    That seems like alot

I own/owned these;

Master System
    Mega Drive
    Dreamcast
    Saturn

Commodore 64

Gameboy (Original, Colour, Advance, DS)
    Super Nintendo
    N64
    Gamecube
    Wii
    Wii U

Playstation
    Playstation 2PSP
    PS Vita

Xbox
    Xbox 360

And of course, the almighty PC.

However you look at it, I believe N64 and Ps are retro. Alot of kids will think ps2 is retro. Hell, my kids will think the 360 et al are retro when they’re my age.

12. By definition, anything that isn’t the current generation is retro. Apart from the Ouya – that is cutting edge! tongue

13. Ridcullys Hat said

Tim said

Just because something is defined as Retro, doesn’t mean I will acknowledge it as such.

I’m still in the mindset of the Mega Drive being “Not THAT long ago.”

This is Retro:

Image Enlarger

14. Quite an enjoyable show lads.  Tim rambled too much, but what can you do?

I will always spout my love of the 3DO until the day that I die, it was the best at the time.

15. Josh

I’d just like to say a quick thank you to everyone who took part in the survey, it’s running til december so anyone extra you could tell about it would be great :D

And as a special thank you to Tim, Dan, And Coleman for helping out so much (also doodling in my sleep deprived state) I created this

BRB-UK Image

(I can’t show it in the forums because I’m tired and can’t figure it out)

16. Bleezeyboy said

(I can’t show it in the forums because I’m tired and can’t figure it out)

Thanks Bleezy, allow me to show off your Masterpiece thumb

Image Enlarger

Although the jar really should say “Of Gosport” as I’ve never actually been to Norwich. tongue

Absolute genius on the image. I consider anything over 15 years old retro personally. I can’t consider 360, ps3 or wii retro as people still actively play them (myself included) but further back is retro but…then you get classic status (N64, ps1 snes etc…).

18. Josh

Coleman said

Thanks Bleezy, allow me to show off your Masterpiece thumb

Image Enlarger

Thank you Mr Coleman, I will try and fix that next time, and seriously, you’re better for not going to Norwich :). But the Actual Coleman picture probably took me longer than the other two combined.

As for what counts as retro, I keep thinking the PS1 was “last-gen” and 2000 was only 5 years ago. And that only puts me as 12…. God I feel old

Is it possible to have a mid-life crisis at 21?

19. Haven’t listened yet I have a week off and I like to save my podcasts for when im on my postie route so ill just say i assume another great show haha from the comments looks like I may be right toothysmile

20. Bleezeyboy said

Is it possible to have a mid-life crisis at 21?

Only if you plan on dying at 42 shock

MadgesVag said

…I’ll just say i assume another great show haha from the comments looks like I may be right toothysmile

And I’ll say you’re probably righttongue

21. MrLovePump

Survey complete!

Tim, If you struggle to get wifi around the house I strongly recommend powerline adapters. I have four with a network switch connected to one so everything (TV, ps4, Xbox One etc) becomes hardwired to the internet. Its been faultless for a good few years now.

Afraid I am one of these oldies that had a 2600. From what I remember I only had kangaroo and centipede on it. I did have other hand-me-downs even before that, you know… the type of systems where you played a tape into it to load it up.

I too was happy Unity came out a little messy. Its one I can leave until I have had my fill elsewhere. Would prefer a ps4 port of Rouge though which, given its coming to PC… I can see happening May/June time. There is no way Ubi are not going to not cash in on a next-gen port.

I’ll second the powerline adapters – I’ve used them for a few years too and really like them a lot.

23. ^ Had considered the powerline adapters, but with you two recommending I will definitely investigate. Thanks, chaps happy Let me know if there is a particular brand you use and advise getting.

This is the ZyXel set I have. A huge improvement over WiFi since my DSL entry point and home/gaming theater are on opposite ends of the house.

Edited to add: I bought the $80 set. It looks like there are cheaper ones, but I like the fact that I don’t lose an electrical socket because of the adapter.