BRB UK 148: The Big E3 Show 2015 Part Two

It’s part two of Team BRB’s massive audio coverage for E3 2015 and once again we are without the posh one. Once again it’s up to Tim & Coleman to join audio forces and ramble more that anybody has ever rambled before.

Listen in as the prattling duo discuss:

• South Park: The Fractured But Whole
  • For Honor
  • The Last Guardian
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Shenmue 3
  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Amiibo Madness!
  • and so much more
We appreciate you chaps taking time out of your week to listen to our show.  For your convenience, you can simply download the MP3 by clicking HERE or you can subscribe via iTunes, RSS or Zune and stay up to date.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

1. CloudStyle

‘By the time this Podcast is released it will be a day away from release’ I think Tim was slightly optimistic about your time line here Coleman 🙂

Also great show, an enjoyable quick overview of all things E3, I think Sony made some huge announcements but it’s a bit sad to see it all only appearing next year onwards. Alas we have a lot of great multi plat games coming this year to carry us over.

2. CloudStyle said

Yeah sadly we forgot to take in account the behind the scenes process of just how these shows are published. There’s a rolling monthly allowance for all of the shows combined, so when we want to do something like a second show in the week or ramble on for an extra 30 minutes or so that takes away from our space (which isn’t very fair n the other shows). So after some contemplation, we decided to put the episode out in the normal release window and get back to normal this week.

Plus side though – we got some extra Arkham Knight time and isn’t that what’s really important here? happy

3. CloudStyle

Coleman said

I feel like I may have broken the quotes here, it just would not play along.

Alas, I have not yet been able to pick it up, been holding out for payday, you know like a responsible adult should… Luckily that’s tomorrow and I’ll be in my skin tight bat suit in no time, and then I’ll make sure to see what the game is like!

toothysmilesunglasses

4. Josh

I liked the episode, but I have a few little problems with your discussions…. Coleman, your lack of love for Tom Clancy games disappoints me, Tim has the right idea. Trails super awesome edition didn’t really interest me, i love trails, but this one didnt excite me.

Also, as you’re infiltrating the IGN squads in the Division,  I will be waiting to double cross everyone and I’ll giggle as I do.

Hey, Coleman…. Amibos!!!!! (I’m expecting its now some kind of trigger) XD

Return of the shameless self-plug (Sorry, Not Sorry):

5. Bleezeyboy said
    Hey, Coleman…. Amibos!!!!! (I’m expecting its now some kind of trigger) XD

You forgot to say “Would you kindly?” tongue

6. LeTHaL MiGRaiNe

I’m entirely unsure what Coleman was watching, but to say that Sony had the best press conference between the two console makers that matter, when they showed very little, and mostly multi console games, is foolish and wrong…..

all you need to know about E3….

Xbox crushed it, Sony dropped the ball.

Sony had 8 exclusives, mostly throw away games and indie stuff (NONE coming out this year). Xbox had 15 exclusives (at least 8 coming out this year), plus Quantum Break, Crackdown, and Scalebound weren’t even there (they’ll be at gamescom. plus, Xbox announced a new IP will be announced at gamescom as well).

Xbox continued to show off EA Access, which is a fantastic value, while Sony had some boring tv stuff.

Xbox has backwards compatibility, and it’s free. Sony had nothing to match it. You could always pay ridiculous prices I guess to play old games on mediocre service PS Now.

Sony had their VR device. Xbox cut deals with Oculus and Valve VR, and showed off HoloLens.

Xbox has that awesome new elite controller.  Sony still has the same uncomfortable controller they’ve had all along.

Sony gets Fallout 4…. Xbox gets Fallout 3 with Fallout 4 and PC mods for the console version (mods may come at some point to PS4, but Mr Howard was rather non committal).

Sony gets Rainbow 6 Siege…. Xbox gets Rainbow 6 Vegas and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 with Rainbow 6 Siege.

7. CloudStyle

LeTHaL MiGRaiNe said

Could it be that Coleman looked at it subjectively where as you looked at it objectively?

I don’t have the time or energy to go through half of your points, but it’s not just Coleman that shares this view, a lot of journalists out there do as well.

Superb conclusiojhn to the E3 episode, thanks chaps 🙂

9. LeTHaL MiGRaiNe said

CloudStyle said

Yes I did actually do my homework and watch both conferences going in, along with repeat viewings for many of the trailers.

To be fair I found it a hard choice to pick a definitive winner between the two (though I may have rushed it out to counteract Tim’s decision time). There were several aspects of both shows that I enjoyed and a fair few announcements made that I’m now looking forward to.

I see your points though and I’ll see if I can expand on this further in the next show, depending on time (and Tim). toothysmile

WarMachine said
    Superb conclusiojhn to the E3 episode, thanks chaps 🙂

Thanks man, though personally I would have much preferred dedicating a show to each conference along with a kind of overview show to finish, would have been a lot of time, effort and cost though sadly. Also, could have done with a Doctor of some description. We’ll have to grab his thoughts next time I guess.

10. LeTHaL MiGRaiNe

fair enough Coleman.

as for what CloudStyle said, look at it however you want, I laid out what happened in black and white.  of those 8 exclusives for Sony, 4 were some 8 bit games from Devolver Digital.  They may end up being fun, maybe they won’t, but all I know is Sony has no games coming anytime soon that aren’t multi console.  They need to pick up their game immensely, but it’s hard to do when you haven’t been profitable for 11 years.

LeTHaL MiGRaiNe said

all you need to know about E3….

Xbox crushed it, Sony dropped the ball.

I don’t think Sony dropped the ball I think they had a very good E3.  Microsoft on the other hand are still playing catchup.

EA Access is great if you like sports games otherwise… it’s not so great.  The early access to games may be a plus but in reality does that make any real difference?

Hololens is a gimic and in my opinion VR will be a mimic as well because I don’t see there being a large enough install base for them to make many dedicated games for VR so I have the horrible feeling it will just be tacked on.

I like the PS4 controller I find it comfortable to hold.  The new elite controller is overpriced and I don’t really understand why they had it at E3?  Surely that is a press release item not a conference item.

Xbox One can get these things because it has a trimmed down version of windows 8 running in the background (And will have a trimmed down version of windows 10 when that comes out).  This does however mean the Xbox one is running 3 operating systems and considering it is already lagging behind the PS4 in terms of hardware… yeah.

Oh and on the Xbox one you have to pay £130 to be able to remap your buttons the PS4… is free.

13. LeTHaL MiGRaiNe

Chris, I agree with absolutely nothing you said.

1. Sony didn’t have a good press conference. In fact, it was one of the weakest E3 pressers in the last 5 years of anybody.  The only legitimate new game they showed off was Uncharted 4, and with no Amy Hennig anymore, the series should’ve just ended since she created it, and has written all the previous games.

2. EA Access is a fantastic deal.  $30 US a year for an ever expanding library of free games, 10% off your purchase of all new games and DLC.  And it’s not just sports games, it has PvZ Garden Warfare, it has Peggle 2, it has Titanfall, Dragon Age is being added to “The Vault” this fall.  In time Mirror’s Edge will be added. Mass Effect will be added. It just happens that EA has made mostly sport games so far this gen.

3. HoloLens is no gimmick.  I suggest you actually listen to podcasts from people who were at E3, and read stories from people that were at E3.  Other then the line of sight being a bit smaller than people want, I have yet to hear any complaint about HoloLens.  Furthermore, with the VR units, they don’t seem to be fitting well for people with glasses.  HoloLens doesn’t have that issue from what I’ve read and heard.

4. Have you heard of SCUF controllers?  I’m guessing you haven’t from your response. That’s the market Xbox is going after with the elite controller, and compared to SCUF, the elite is priced perfectly.

5. DX12 should provide a 20% boost to Xbox GPU performance, and from the benchmark videos, up to a 400% increase in PC GPU performance (depending on the graphics card you have). These new consoles have mostly off the shelf PC parts. I trust a PC company far more than an electronics company, especially like I said above, an electronics company that is so good at business they haven’t been profitable in 11 years.

14. LeTHaL MiGRaiNe

spikeychris said

it’s not even remotely close to being the same thing.  Actually take the time to look up the elite controller, and the videos Microsoft have put out about it, and you will see a vastly superior controller to your standard controller regardless of console.

LeTHaL MiGRaiNe said
    Chris, I agree with absolutely nothing you said.

1.  That is your opinion.
    2.  PvZ Garden warfare is great (and was given away free on the PS4), I have no interest in peggle, Titanfall was a flop although dragon ages is good.
    3.  You are operating under the assumption I haven’t… not the best assumption to make.
    4.  Yes I have and I don’t need to buy one to remap my buttons 😉
    5.  A 20% boost in Xbox GPU performance still wouldn’t make it as powerful as the PS4 GPU.  Not to mention neither console has dedicated VRAM and the PS4 uses DDR5 instead of DDR3 so the PS4 has the edge in that regard as well.

I personally don’t care about the whole Xbox vs Playstation “debate” if the Xbox One had been a better console I would have gotten that but it was A) more expensive B) much less powerful (which at the moment isn’t important but will be as the generation goes on) and C) doesn’t have any exclusives that I actually want to play.  I get the sneaking suspicion I’m just trying to have a discussion with an Xbox fanboy…

LeTHaL MiGRaiNe said

spikeychris said

Great but the fact still remains is you can’t remap the buttons on the normal Xbox One controller can you?

17. Ricardo Kirkabon

Hi!

Can anyone explain what it is about Final Fantasy 7? How can a re-make of a 1990s JRPG magically be a console seller? A mate at work who has only just got an XBox One is saving up for a PS4 just to play it. As crazy as it all seems, I’m pretty excited about it too; If I hadn’t just got married (and didn’t have quite such a pile of shame) I might well be doing the same.

I played the heck out of FF7 on a friend’s PS1 when it first came out and whenever it comes on the Steam Sale it takes huge self control not to add it to my  pile of (digital) shame.

I’ve never been excited about any other Final Fantasy: I think I got about 20 minutes into FF8 before I realised I had absolutely no enthusiasm for it at all. Do we think it is some weird “lightning in a bottle” (if you’ll forgive the pun) moment? Or are we just all nostalgia suckers. Will FF7 sell to many non-80s/90s kids?