BRB UK 43: I Wouldn’t Touch That With a Bargepole

Happy New Year, you splendid denizens of the Barrel! This week, Jon was asleep. So Dan and Tim had to rely upon the services of a long-haired postal worker (Kev) and a bloke from Texas (Dave) to quench your thirst for podcasting buffoonery and general audio goodness.

This week, we prattle on about:

• Our New Year’s gaming resolutions
  • Tim (and, to a lesser extent, Dan) have a rant
  • Dan finally got his hands on Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, is mildly ambivalent
  • The Walking Dead
  • Tim attempts of review Far Cry 3
  • The Great British Debate: What’s our game of the year?

We appreciate you chaps and chapettes taking time out of your week to listen to our show. For your convenience, you can simply download the MP3 by clicking HERE or you can subscribe via iTunes, RSS or Zune and stay up to date. This week, there’s also a massive chunk of bonus content – in the form of a ‘lost episode’ – for anyone who’s been kind enough to pick up the BRB App.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

1. I am 25 minutes into the episode and I think this is one of the best episodes ever!

Just wondering about the Bl.Ops mechanical Rhino, is it something like this?

BLOPs Rhino

I have the same first wold problem as Tim though, my local Game shut down in Wimbledon and my nearest one seems to be in Hammersmith. Ordanerilly not a problem but I missed the New years sales thanks to being stranded in Wimbledon (stupid line closures).

2. Just finished and it was an excellent show chaps.

Can’t agree on GotY but then again I didn’t get a hold of X-Com and I’ve not opened Borderlands 2 yet (for shame).

I agree about Yodel providing a very poor service though, after two weeks of organizing re-delivery’s everyday with them they tried to convince me that my address didn’t exist.

Bonus content time then.

3. steroidtulip

When is Jon back on ? Always good to hear Dave though . On the subject of Amazon . Due to being out the UK I bought my missus some expensive electrical items . She found them just left on the step !!!! Now I live in Liverpool , you work out how lucky that was ?

4. steroidtulip said

Well Jon was back on for the episode that ended up as bonus content, other than that I’d say he’s too busy drawing Dinosaurs and posting photos of his yellow phone on Twitter to record.

5. Zombellic

Yep I have Tim’s 1st world problem. I live in a town of 40,000 ppl and the only places where games are available is Tesco, Agros and a Blockbusters. Same goes for movies and Tesco is the only place that sells music.

6. steroidtulip

I’m with Tim on the shop topic . Buying from the “chain” shops like Virgin , HMV etc is a souless experience . There are still some proper shops by me , they can give advice or just have a chat about games .  Online is ok but you have to wait , sometimes you just want to go and get it andd play it that day .

7. Not only is it ‘souless’ when shopping in these chains but frustrating too. I hav a supermarket near me that’s whole game stock is CoD:Bl.Ops2 and a HMV that only seem to stock 5 chart games at a time (at around £45 each of course). If only Steam could open a shop lol.

8. ThePhenomenalC said

250px-TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

On Tim’s point, last year was probably the first time in my life when I made more digital purchases than physical. This was facilitated by a 1TB HDD drive in my PS3, PS+ and a Vita. Most of my physical purchases were still made online, either through Amazon or VideoGamesPlus.ca.

9. RidcullysHat

Great show chaps. On the state of 1st world problems, I live in a small, backwater town on the south east coast that has 1 shop that sells games. That shop being bloody Sainsburys! I would use amazon, to which I have been known to do. Sadly they have made some serious errors in the past as once, whilst checking a delivery status I noticed it had been delivered. This was strange I thought as I HAD NOT taken delivery of said products. I scoured the garden, hedges and even asked neighbours. Eventually I emailed them in a very angry manner to which they sent all the products back out at no extra charge. I believe the originals were either abducted by game loving, comic reading aliens who are currently laughing at my misfortune or some chav postman stole them. On another topic though, seriously Dan. Firefly was a damned good show. I cannot tell you the angry nerd rage that may befall you if the ‘browncoat’ community hear of this.

Don’t worry Dan, I’m not a Browncoat and I wont be telling them. Although, I have heard of people disappearing and car bombs being implemented due to browncoats being upset. They love their Nathan Fillion.

11. Diarmuid said

250px-TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

Amazing bigsmile

ThePhenomenalC said

Diarmuid said

250px-TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

Amazing bigsmile

How did you get my address?toothysmile

13. Badhaggis

I don’t know what you Londoners are moaning about, there’s a single GAME store in Northern Ireland! That’s the only place I can buy games at, apart from the tiny amount that supermarkets sometimes have.

Badhaggis said

I live closer to France than London! Not something to be proud of I know but its true. This little backwater town I live in is 80% elderly so I only have said Sainsburys to purchase any games I want. Did get hitman for less than £20 thoughthumb

15. Badhaggis

Steam is a bloody lifeline for my gaming habit, PSN is too expensive ( although PS+ is very welcome).

16. Badhaggis said

I guess I’m too used to my time living in Portsmouth, we had two Game stores and a GameStation all on the same street. Bit excessive but could explain why they’ve been shutting stores down?

17. ^ Yep, if you ask me Game’s biggest mistake was buying all of the EB and Gamestation stores which lead to them having multiple stores in the same street/shopping centre. Meant they over saturated their own market and cannibalised their own sales. Buying the competition out is the easy way out of having to be competitive, not always the best option though and it’s something that should have been overtly obvious prior to them doing so. An idiot can tell you that owning three shops selling the same thing in the same street isn’t the best business plan (unless you are Subway as this seems to work for them! hmmm)

18. Tim said
    ^ Yep, if you ask me Game’s biggest mistake was buying all of the EB and Gamestation stores which lead to them having multiple stores in the same street/shopping centre. Meant they over saturated their own market and cannibalised their own sales. Buying the competition out is the easy way out of having to be competitive, not always the best option though and it’s something that should have been overtly obvious prior to them doing so. An idiot can tell you that owning three shops selling the same thing in the same street isn’t the best business plan (unless you are Subway as this seems to work for them! hmmm)

(or Greggs)

It’s frustrating that the choice seems to be Game or CEX at the moment (unless you’re lucky enough to have a local shop for local people), CEX are okay but there’s no option to buy new at all. I’ve made the jump to buying online but I miss going into a shop and browsing, talking to staff and making impulse buys on something I didn’t know I wanted.

ThePhenomenalC said

Tim said

(or Greggs)

I don’t have even that option unless I’m willing to travel. Even then, I only have a choice of gamestation and that’s it. I could pop into the MacDonalds across the road from them but it isn’t a very good incentive. It kind of sucks the fat one.

20. Ah but then you get a Happy Meal toy.

Not really my favourite fast food chain. The amount of chemicals in there sauces really puts me off. KFC for me. You can’t beat deep fried chicken and soggy fries. Although thinking about it, if I ate the happy meal toy it would have more nutritional value than the actual food in question.tongue

22. Catfunce

Funny stuff you guys. I’m purely an amazon shopper for games, I’ve not experienced an issue with postage yet ( ** touches wood** ) but on the other hand I’m not really all that fussed about getting a game on release date or whatever. I, like Shooter, still have some AAA stuff in shrinkwrap that I’ll probably get around to opening at some stage this year. (please don’t clingfilm me)

23. Chris Shooter

Christ – well that explains why a mob of people turned up at me house with rolls of cling film then! Luckily for Dan I WAS in my 4 day Y fronts!

Shrinkwrap update – Batman AC and Saint’s Row still not unwrapped…

24. Badhaggis

Tim said

Pretty much this, there used to be 3 GAME stores within walking distance of each other in Belfast, none of which had very many people in it, now there’s 1 but it constantly has queues.

I always make sure a game works so always play for at least 30mins. They then either go on the pile of shame or I play them for a bit and go back to one of my many games that I’m halfway through. I usually end up selling what I haven’t finished unless I know I’ll go back to it.

26. I have always varied my game buying locations well after I worked for gamestation but thats a whole different story, on the point about gaming charts i know that gamestation charts were bought positions so im guessing chain stores are likely to be the same.

I think had Far Cry 3 came out earlier it would definitely have been game of the year it really sparked my enthusiasm for gaming again after the multiple similer titles coming out for a while ie halo, cod, battlefield and medal of honor

anywho got to go pick up the wifey from work, so ill sign off with great show again guys and its been good having the extra opinions thrown in this week!

27. Chris Shooter said

Shrinkwrap update – Batman AC and Saint’s Row still not unwrapped…

That’s borderline criminal! Scotland is a bit far for me, could you be a dear and clingfilm yourself for me?

ThePhenomenalC said

Chris Shooter said

Shrinkwrap update – Batman AC and Saint’s Row still not unwrapped…

Y-fronts and cling film. Its like 50 shades of Glasgow

29. ThePhenomenalC said

Chris Shooter said

Shrinkwrap update – Batman AC and Saint’s Row still not unwrapped…

im in Scotland and I want an address this minute Mr Shooter! I have clingfilm and a chair if required, there is a possible case for a man card removal ….. toothysmile