Big Red Flix 42: Learn The Ways Of Emma Stone

Welcome back for another episode of Big Red Flix, BigRedBarrel.com’s movie podcast. This week Dave and Yoshifett are joined by Smelly Pirate from the BRB Boom show to discuss Disney buying the rights to Star Wars, Nine Months, The Heart Break Kid, The Godfather 2, The Dictator, Battleship, as well as trailers for World War Z and Movie 43. There’s bonus content for all BRB podcast app users.

Check back next week for an all new episode of BRB Flix.

Here’s the RSS feed.  Leave an iTunes review and subscribe here.  Download the show here.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

1. MTaylo050

Yoshi and Smelly. I too have fond memories of watching 9 Months from in my youth. Particularly the Arnie fight in the toy store. I haven’t seen it in quite some time though so I can’t say if it holds up.

2. Yoshifett

MTaylo050 said

There we go!

3. FireMuncher

Can’t wait to hear it. But I guess I can, sorry I have to finish watching the Rock first. Nickolas Cage is so dreamy… Plus have you seen his son, Wow!

4. Marksman Shrimp

Definitely the Brownest, most Booming episode of the Flix I’ve ever heard, consequently a very funny one too. I was getting a little worried about the show after a slight lag in releases and then the Halloween audio loss debacle, but I’m glad my favourite podcast is lurching back towards former highs. Keep up the great work gents.

5. MTaylo050 said

It holds up in our brains, which is what matters. This was a great deal of fun to record. I hope that nobody plants another malicious virus intentionally in Jitterbug’s computer again…I mean…I hope he’s back recording soon.

6. gingerboy507

You guys singing like Randy Newman made me laugh so hard at work I’m no longer allowed to wear headphones at work

7. Providence

Terminator 2 > Terminator

8. None Months = 28%
    Transformers = 57%
    Transformers 3 = 36%

Ouch.

9. MTaylo050

Jitterbug said
    None Months = 28%
    Transformers = 57%
    Transformers 3 = 36%

Ouch.

I’m not sure I would ever call 9 months a “great” movie. However, it did make me laugh back in the day. The same way that Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Tommy Boy did. Those movies weren’t spectacular either, but they were funny. Now I don’t think 9 months was as funny as those movie either, again it has been a long time since I’ve seen it, but I think rotten tomatoes seems to be a lot more critical when it comes to comedies, that’s just my opinion though.

10. Jitterbug said
    None Months = 28%
    Transformers = 57%
    Transformers 3 = 36%

Ouch.

If your point is that Nine Months is worse than Transformers, then I may need to just permanently take your place on this show. thumb

11. zombiesauerkraut

smelly pirate said

Threeway!

“You have a small pussy”…Robin Williams is hilarious in that movie. As a matter of fact, my girl and I are watching it tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration =)

I agree that a reboot or whatever you want to call it should be able to stand on its own, but it is worth mentioning that Andrea wasn’t half as annoying in the graphic novel as in the show. The only way I can enjoy watching the Walking Dead is by rooting for the really annoying survivors to die. Though I hope (obviously in vain) that Michael Rooker lives forever.

Hey Yosh, you know who else is finally legal? Emma Watson! She can wave my wand any day! We belong in jail lol

Excellent show, guys! Brown is my favorite flavor! Cheers!

12. frawlzfans

zombiesauerkraut said

smelly pirate said

Threeway!

Excellent show, guys! Brown is my favorite flavor! Cheers!

Loved the show guys amazing as usual. “finally legal”  shes 22, shes been legal (In the UK) for 6 years.

Andrea was ok in season 1 because you didn’t see much of her and you actually felt sorry for her character.

She was irritating in season 2 but she did have at least some kind of depth to her charcter.

Season 3 she is annoying as hell because he character now has no depth at all and she runs around mopping like a lost kitten most of the time.

With world war Z interesting side note large amounts of it where filmed in Glasgow and the streets where changed to make it look like a city in the US (can’t remember which one).  The square you see all the zombies running out of is george square (which I walk past everyday on the way to work).  So I will be going to see it just because I want to see how the glasgow scenes are :P

14. Yoshifett

zombiesauerkraut said

Hey Yosh, We belong in jail lol

“WE BELONG IN A MUSEUM!”

15. Terra

Okay, I think I’ve heard this rubbish long enough.

Yoshi, I can understand why you think a piece of art should be free-standing. Honestly, I do. But it’s ludicrous to try and proclaim that any work should be unrelated to the one before it when it is internally related to the last one..

It’s like your complaint for Superman Dies way back when. You complained that you didn’t know something but then you also claimed that you didn’t bother to read anything beforehand. That is not how a story works at all. You need to understand part one before you can move on to part two. Laziness of the audience is not an acceptable excuse to say that the writing was poor. If you didn’t pay attention and try to do the research before you jump into a story midway through, then you really have no acceptable right to have an opinion on it. You haven’t bothered to be educated.

So no, I’m forced to agree with Dave. Andrea’s character in the comic book may well be better and the independence of the show as opposed to the comics is irrelevant to that. They are both from the same source material and character is roughly static between the two. You can’t try to say that the idea of a character and their ideology changes between two medias. Time constraint is not related to the characters. It’s related to plot paciing and chain of events but character itself is not constrained by that directly.

And in terms of analogies, It’s like saying this food would be better if you added spice. It’s not changing the base, it’s changing the garnishes. In your argument that Halo would be more engaging if you read the books, I don’t see how that opinion is invalid. Developing more background lore has absolutely nothing to do with the media it’s presented as. It can be stated that presenting lore is easier in a text only format, but that doesn’t at all mean that it is impossible.

And yes, if there was no comic there would not be a show, so it is technically true that her character can’t be better without source material.

Now, in the effort of explaining, I do respect your opinion and your presence. I by no means intend to demean that. Simply stating that I don’t agree for these reasons. If I came off as an asshole, well the reason is I probably am being an asshole in my debating.

After all that though, I think the reason people dislike Andrea’s character is irrelevant to the source material. For the viewers who didn’t read the comics, it appears that Andrea’s character sharply declines from her self-sufficient and protective mentality to being more needy and not to mention falls for the antagonistic characters on multiple occasions. The reason that doesn’t fly with the readers is because the majority of that plotline is because the writers of the show need to tie in the Prison and Woodbury arcs rapidly. I do not necessarily agree but it is simple fact.

Suppose it’s largely irrelevant to me though, in a rather Jitterbug fashion, that show literally broke for me during one absurdly ridiculous scene of Season 3. Governor versus the soldiers just broke the entire show for me when apparently nobody can shoot him even though they’re all watching him pull a gun and shoot their buddy. Calling Bulls\*\*t on that.

16. Yoshifett

Terra said
    Okay, I think I’ve heard this rubbish long enough.

tl;dr

17. DeanBiddler

Boo Yoshifett, boo. Why are you being so dismissive?

18. Yoshifett

DeanBiddler said
    Boo Yoshifett, boo. Why are you being so dismissive?

tl;dr

19. Don F Fuentes

You’re overreacting kid. Put down the cross. Nobodies persecuting you.

20. Yoshifett

DeanBiddler said
    Boo Yoshifett, boo. Why are you being so dismissive?

Honestly, because I’ve explained my position on this numerous times and I don’t want to go over it again.

21. FireMuncher

Hey Yoshi, Emily Kinney is old enough for you winky2

Any plans for a holiday special, or maybe just discussing everyone’s favorite holiday movie, or a best holiday movie bracket?

22. I think it’s fair to say that Yoshi was being a bit silly by claiming that the Superman comic was crap because it didn’t explain itself in that one comic, and required people to read the one before to understand. I think even Yoshi would admit that.

To his point, however, this isn’t the same thing. When a movie is adapted from a book, the movie must stand on its own. If a person’s enjoyment of the movie is predicated on having read the book, then the movie is a failure. On the other hand, if a person’s enjoyment of a movie is BOLSTERED by having read the book, then that’s a good thing. There’s a fine line there, but one that I think is identifiable.

Take The Shining for example. It works as a movie, independently of the book. There’s no need to read the book to understand the movie, but if you’ve read the book then you have a deeper understanding of the characters, which helps make the movie even better. Now, if the movie didn’t work on it’s own, and people claimed that if you read the book then everything made sense and the character’s worked, then the movie would’ve been a failure.

In The Walking Dead, the television series has done a piss poor job of making the characters believable, likable, or realistic at all. Sure, the comics might be outstanding, and the characters might make a ton of sense there, but we’re not talking about the comic; we’re talking about the television series. SO, when someone says that the tv series makes sense if you read the comics, then they’re apologizing for the tv series’ failure. That’s not to say that reading the comics can’t deepen a person’s enjoyment of the series, but it is saying that the tv series hasn’t done its job.

NEW RULE: If you have to read the book/comic to truly appreciate the tv series/movie, then the tv series/movie has failed.

Side note, I agree it was laughable that the Governor took out a cadre of soldiers by walking at them with a pistol. Perhaps if the series had delved into his near suicidal bravery, then it would’ve made sense. It should’ve been played as if his men were frustrated with his desire to go head on, but he insisted despite the clear danger. Then, when he lived, his glory would’ve had a dark undertone, making him seem insane and dangerous, just like the character is supposed to be. The tv series failed to deliver that, and just leaves the audience saying, “Really?”

I like the show, but the loss of Darabont has had major repercussions on it. I hate EVERY character on the show now. Hard to keep watching a show that doesn’t have a single person that’s affable.

23. zombiesauerkraut

I totally, completely agree, %100…this just in: hell has frozen over!

24. Yoshifett

Jitterbug said

^^^This is essentially my real point.

The Death of Superman thing was a separate idea: I was too lazy to read the backstory of Doomsday, so I didn’t understand how he could kill Superman. I honestly thought that Superman was essentially invincible unless you pumped him full of Kryptonite bullets, and that ignorance was my own fault. Doomsday’s back story makes it clear. At the time I read the comic, I simply thought the idea of someone punching Superman to death was inexplicable and somewhat lame.

25. Don F Fuentes

Y’know Fett, with all due respect, if I had to sum you up in one picture, this would be it:

Only thing it’s missing is a wordcloud, with “Hey, Yoshi, where you carrying that thing?” http://boards.outerrimsieges.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

26. zombiesauerkraut

Jesus!

=)

27. Don F Fuentes

Zombiesauerkraut. Undead fermented cabbage. Now that’s a nice handle! http://boards.outerrimsieges.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

28. zombiesauerkraut

Yeah, that about sums it up. I wish there was more to me than just German, brain-munching, pickled cabbage…but ‘fraid not. =)

29. DeanBiddler

Jitterbug said

As someone who has read the Walking Dead Comics I would like to make a few clarifying points on this topic of source material and adaption:

1)The Walking Dead is, I believe, a special case in this argument as the names of the characters remain the same but their actions, characterizations (in some cases), and histories are dramatically different in their respective media. This makes two categorically divergent and thus cannot be used to understand one or the other better.

2) The shows and the comics are written by the same Robert Kirkman and to see the difference in the narrative between the two could be described as orthoginal and thus a big disappointment. This is what I believe that the people who continually compare the show to the comic are really saying in most cases, not that you need the foresight from the comic to interpret the show or characters to understand it.

30. zombiesauerkraut

Hence, comic good, show bad. Everyone got that?

31. DeanBiddler