BRB Boom 44: Gossiping About Penis Laced Companion Cubes

It’s time, once again, to put boom in your boom and listen to BRB Boom. This week, DogsDie, Smelly Pirate and Yoshifett nerd out about Jason Collins, the best Nintendo games, learning curves, a new song, and the deal of the week.

Please be sure to subscribe to the BRB Boom feed on iTunes or RSS. If you insist, you can always just download the mp3. If you are currently using a computer with iTunes on it, would you mind heading over there and leaving some feedback?

Comments

1. Yoshifett

Preemptively want to say that I said made some jokes that may be perceived as homophobic, but I was being really, really specious.

2. Badhaggis

Best urine joke?

WiiU.

Ha.

I’m so original, it hurts.

3. Mearnsonator

So a horse walks into a bar, the bartender says, “Urine? Dang near killed ’em!”

4. BilboTeabaggins

Yoshifett said

Well I wasn’t offended.

That out of the way, it’s nice to see a complete set of podcast hosts on a podcast for once (here’s looking at you BRB-UK) and it’s good to have you bantering off of one another.

As for games with a steep learning curve. Trauma Centre: Under The Knife for the DS. I love that game but jesus. Sometimes that game whips out it’s phallus and just begins slapping you with it. It’s INSANE! Having got over one of those walls I was doing great for another 12 “chapters”… And then BOOM! The phallus returns!

The DotA song was tip top by the way! I had a recent game where I got a double kill and it’s up there as one of my most proud moments in video games when I outlasted that Zeus and just relied on my right click to whittle him away whilst I waited for my cool-downs to reset.

Keep up the good work guys and as for urine jokes, piss off.

5. Just a few urine jokes into this thing, and I’d say things are going swimmingly!

6. gingerboy507

I want to talk about the Jason Collins story. To me this might be kind of a messed up thing to say and I hope nobody gets upset by this but I think Jason Collins admitting he is gay is possible the best thing he could of done for his NBA career. Like you guys were saying he’s not that good averaging 4 points and 4 rebounds a game in his career and spent last season fighting for playing time on the Wizards last year (one of the worst teams in the league) and hes’ gonna be a free agent this summer and the odds of him signing with team were low but now with him “coming out” I guarantee David Stern will do his best to make sure he is on a team next season for it doesn’t look like the NBA is trying to keep a player out because he is gay. I’m not saying Jason came out for that reason but thought I would bring that point up and was curious what you guys think of it

Let me say that I have no problem what so ever people that are gay/lesbians and think they should be treated no different than anyone else

7. Badhaggis

Does the average American actually care? Forgive me for being a Anarcho-Socialist European Liberal Commie, but it’s not exactly the first thing I think about when it comes to athletes.

8. eldertaco

The name is Kirk not Zack but I wouldn’t mind having blonde hair a brick phone and Kelly Kapowski.

If Smelly and Yoshi need a gift will you take a two-party out-of-state bad check?

9. gingerboy507 said

I agree with the premise of your post, that as far as Collins’ basketball career is concerned, it only stands to benefit from this. Having read his article, though I know you’re not asserting this, it seems clear that he is doing this for no reason other than to “clear his conscience” so to speak. In my work in mental health, I have seen that few long-term decisions can wreak such psychological damage as living one’s life in secrets and lies. I’m glad that he can now have a public persona that more closely resembles his private one. I’m sure it was the most frightening thing he has ever had to do, and will also be one of the most rewarding.

Badhaggis said

I don’t know that there is an average American. I do think that there are a sizable number of sports fans who are aware enough of the historical context to get how big a deal this is. On the one hand, like Yoshi said, he’s nowhere near the athletic dominance of Jackie Robinson, but maybe that makes this even more impressive. Maybe he will have to continue to fight to get court time in spite of being physically and chronologically disadvantaged (he’s as old as I am), whereas with Jackie he was able to win over many fans with sheer athletic talent alone. There are Americans, and maybe even athletes in the NBA that will reject him simply because he is gay. There are more, I believe, that will accept him because he was courageous enough to stand up and be honest with everyone about who he is. His sexual orientation has no bearing on his ability to play basketball, just as Jackie’s race had no bearing on his baseball abilities, but I think most people here grasp the historical significance of his stature and orientation residing together publicly in one man for the first time in a major team sport in this country.

TL;DR – Apparently black people can be gay now.

10. Ploogle

Okay, rant time. Need to give you a piss of my mind. A stream of consciousness, if you will. I was going to post this earlier, but bladder late than never. It didn’t start badly at first, but as the show went on it got worse. I’m afraid urine too deep. This revelation won’t make a splash, but it’s important to me: your podcast is no longer #1.

11. McSeagull

Ploogle said

As always, Ploogle steals the show. Can you at least share some of Smelly’s games with the rest of us mortals who were not blessed with such intellectual potty humor as you?

Good episode, great to have the DD back of course. And the board game into first person shooter discussion got me thinking and I think that I would have to go with Settlers of Catan (normal edition, not Star Trek). I think it would play very similar to Day Z, running around and gathering resources and racing to get enough for 10 victory points. Just wondering where the element of chance would play into it that would somewhat balance the game from a statistical standpoint. Maybe weaker guns are like 2,3,4,10,11,12 rolls and your RPGs and shotguns/machine guns are the 5-9 rolls. Ploogle, make something of this.

12. Ploogle

McSeagull said

We’d first think of why they have the random system in place? To regulate the rate at which you acquire certain resources over time. The designers had to resort to die rolls because Catan doesn’t operate in realtime. A video game has no such limitation, and so we can instead treat each hex (control point) as a resource that pays up every given time interval. So if you control 3 wheat points, you’d gain 3 wheat every 20 seconds or so, as an example.

Instead of roads, you could have interconnected barriers. These protect your squares by slowing down intruders attempting to cross that border. The longer the barrier (much like roads), the higher the barrier. So at first it starts off as a minor nuisance that you can jump over, but eventually becomes something they have to travel around. You can pass through your own barriers, but not theirs.

The resources would be used to purchase upgraded stats. I’m thinking you have a single gun, unlimited ammo, but limited by clip size and rate of fire. So you start off with a single shot, takes several seconds to reload. A few Brick (?) later, and you can fire three shot bursts and reload in a second. And so on.

The person to have the most points captured when time runs out wins. Works in teams of the same color as well.

13. McSeagull

Ploogle…You are awesome. That is all. Whenever you are called upon to do anything, you just have an amazing answer (or avatar of a seagull scavenging for fast food and proceeding to have the runs). If I’m the spit baller, you are the spit boulder-er or some other analogy that makes sense. It sounds like from your take on it, it would be some kind of FPS/tower defense hybrid almost. And from the barrier idea it’s like a snatch and grab, quasi-stealth shooter game in some sense as well.

Maybe the stand in knight (I call it the baron but people get on my case about that) could be an A.I. turret of sorts that protects your land and once you acquire the equivalent of longest army (again, a point many contend but I counter contend with that if they’re largest they can also cover the most ground, therefore the longest) there will be some universal defense bonus to your isolated territories. Perhaps longest road would have a higher barrier or one that produces a slowing effect when the threshold is crossed.

This is actually a lot of fun thinking this out, perhaps the harbors could provide certain gameplay mechanic bonuses instead of the trade advantage because at this point, I’m kind of confused as to how the quantification of gathering resources would go. Maybe each victory point could increase your weapon’s effectiveness:

2 – semi automatic, 15 round clip, 200% reload speed.

3 – semi automatic, 20 round clip, 200% reload speed.

4 – semi automatic, 20 round clip, 150% reload speed.

5 – semi automatic, 25 round clip, 150% reload speed.

6 – semi automatic/three round burst, 30 round clip, 100% reload speed.

7 – semi automatic/three round burst, 45 round clip, 75% reload speed.

8 – semi automatic/three round burst/full auto, 60 round clip, 50% reload speed.

9 – semi automatic/three round burst/full auto, 90 round clip, 25% reload speed.

Something along those lines, maybe some kind of range modifier or critical strike damage or AOE damage as you unlock like a shotgun, grenade launcher etc. Would kind of ramp up in intensity and speed as the game went on, sounds like it would play sort of like Unreal Tournament because just as in the real game, the sense of urgency increases as the game goes on. I wonder what role development cards would play…I shall sleep on it and get back to you in the morning.

14. Ploogle

McSeagull said

This would probably be a more interesting multiplayer mode in an existing game than a standalone, I’m thinking! This idea is sounding a lot cooler that I first thought it would. :D

15. McSeagull

Ploogle said

Yeah, when I first threw out the idea it was the first thing that came to mind for a board game into FPS because I have been playing the crap out of it since I was first introduced to it but now I’m kind of interested in seeing this come to light. Kickstarter project? Haha but yeah, I was thinking more about it and would each hex be like permanently owned/controlled once you staked the initial claim or are we talking some kind of king of the hill gameplay akin to Domination in Call of Duty? Maybe the development cards are weapon modifications like a scope or silencer or stuff like that.

16. Ploogle

McSeagull said

Ploogle said

Not the kind of thing I’d want to develop personally, so no to the Kickstarter. :D

You could have the entire field composed of hex tiles, but only a few of them are resource points. King-of-the-hill style, methinks. I don’t know how big a role weapon upgrades would actually play into it. I mean, it’s a shooter, but I don’t see it being all about your gun upgrades when the gameplay isn’t focused on the shooting. Probably just my personal preference speaking though! Not the biggest FPS fan.

smelly pirate gossiped about ghosting up his bandersnatch

You find a way to work that in if you’re going to do that to me in the trailer

My favorite out of context quote from this episode…

18. zombiesauerkraut

This episode completely shattered my real life fourth wall when Dogs and Smelly thanked and F-ed my brick and mortar name for something I totally didn’t do. I want you both to know that I would never, ever gift you anything. Nothing personal, it’s just that the misses would never allow it. Which reminds me, Yoshi, will my longest wizz entry still count if I’m sitting down?

Great show, guys!

19. Yoshifett

zombiesauerkraut said

No. What are you a GIRL! We have no female listeners.

20. zombiesauerkraut said

Hah! This is my new favorite thing! From now on, every listener whose name we don’t know shall default to Zachary Tveter, or something like that. We’ll probably not follow through with this, but it’s fun to think about.