BRB Boom 17: Veiny Things

It’s time, once again, to put boom in your boom and listen to BRB Boom.  This week Dogs Die, Smelly Pirate and Yoshifett nerd out about video game endings, the hottest bracket to date, deal of the week and other topics that affect today’s gamer.

Please be sure to subscribe to the BRB Boom feed on iTunes or RSS. If you insist, you can always just download the mp3. If you are currently using a computer with iTunes on it, would you mind heading over there and leaving some feedback?

Tags:

Comments

1. tominie

Brb Boom, providing the music soundtrack to me and my partners dirty love wrestling for 6 months now…I look forward to this new session with glee!

My missus….not so much.

2. XplayGamer

Great podcast and list of women. I am surprised natalie portman and scarlett johannson got knocked out and wasnt winner also. Also surprised Megan Fox wasnt in the list.

3. XplayGamer said

I think Megan Fox missed the cut based solely on how annoying she is.

4. TamarindLAZ

DogsDie said

XplayGamer said

I think Megan Fox missed the cut based solely on how annoying she is.

Or the Toe-Thumbs, and the fact that she’s a poor man’s Angelina Jolie.

Great episode guys. I laughed at all the animosity during the bracket! Very entertaining. thumb

5. d1x1e

Two words gentlemen

Sofia Vergara

Still good effort on determining a distant second

6. d1x1e said
    Two words gentlemen

Sofia Vergara

Still good effort on determining a distant second

While I see the appeal, I don’t think she belongs in my top 5, personally. Part of the reason for that is that she is in some weird, Columbian, perpetual manic episode. Have you ever seen her on a talk show? Out of control, and not a little annoying. We at the Boom know that beauty is more than just looking good, as evidenced by my ever-increasing gut size.

7. XplayGamer

Another 2 words,

Kate Upton

8. Natalie Portman isn’t all that and yes, Kate Upton is amazing.

9. Rebs7

I’m absolutely the Boom’s number one fan but this was a very odd episode for you guys. It’s never crossed my mind before to think of you all as sexist but, as it went on, my brow started to furrow and to suggest that it would be terrible if Christina Hendricks, just because of her breasts, got breast cancer and that Natalie Portman didn’t have enough breast cells to get breast cancer was really cringe-worthy.

(I hope your Mums weren’t listening to this particular one, even though you’d said you’d asked them to)

10. Rebs7 said

I’m sorry you felt that way, my friend.  In all of the 100+ episodes that we have recorded, we have always tried to speak our minds openly and honestly.  Sometimes topics come up and comments are made that really aren’t for everyone.  That being said, I don’t think a discussion about the beauty of actresses is sexist.  I’m a man and I’m attracted to women.  I don’t spend my days fantasizing about these women, but when I watch a show or movie with an attractive woman on the screen I don’t feel it’s inappropriate to openly admit that woman is beautiful.  My wife and I have been married for 7 years now and we’re to a point that I can (and do) make comments about those actresses.  It isn’t threatening or demeaning to her, and we do the same with actors.

Now to specifically address the cancer comment.  That likely crossed a line.  I do live improv comedy and typically cancer+AIDS, the holocaust, and slavery jokes are off limits.  The same should apply to our podcast and for that I’m sorry.  We meant no harm and it was an attempt to form a humorous argument against Christina Hendricks.  I guess what I should say is….Yoshi said it and he’s an awful person for doing so.  SHAME ON YOU YOSHI.

Thanks for listening to the show.  We hope this didn’t turn you off too much.  We’ll make it up to you on Episode 19.

11. Rebs7 said

It makes me feel physically ill to think that we have offended someone, so I’m sorry if we did. I do think this brings up a conversation that is worth having, namely: Is it inherently sexist to talk about what woman you think is the most attractive? I don’t personally think it’s any more sexist than it would be to talk about what my favorite menu item is at Taco Bell. Yes, there is objectification, but I don’t think that any of us three feel that women are only good for how they look. It’s an interesting topic for a bracket because the vast majority of our listeners likely possess some fairly spirited opinions on the topic.

The Cancer joke was, in my estimation, more ignorant than it was sexist, and I think that that falls more in line with our show than anything. We are constantly inflating our own sense of ignorance or detachedness on a given topic for the sake of a laugh. I do understand that Cancer is generally not a good basis for a joke, so on those grounds, I agree with you. But I don’t think, however, that Dogs or Yoshi actually think that a woman with small breasts can’t get breast cancer. They were playing dumb, acting like buffoons, because, lets face it, our show could very accurately be titled BRB Buffoons sometimes.

Again, I hate to think that we caused you discomfort or that you were personally offended, Rebs. However, I don’t know if your taking offense to it is evidence that we were being sexist. As Dogs stated, I feel personally comfortable with my contribution to the conversation, and I don’t think my wife or mother would be upset about anything I said there either.

Let’s please let this conversation continue, though, because it is intriguing to me.

Love you!

12. adam

For as gaga as you were for her in Mass Effect, I’m surprised Yvonne Strahovski never came up. Jessicas Biel and Alba say hey, too.

13. Yoshifett

I haven’t listened to this episode and I don’t remember exactly what I said but I am very sorry for it. I won’t say it again. We usually say some really awful things so I’m surprised this is the first complaint I can really ever remember us getting of this nature.

14. adam

In all honesty, guys, it is your ability to be light-hearted and goofy about things that are generally held too important to touch that makes me like your show so much; even when you guys are playing the role of ignorant goofballs, there is never any sense of malice when you delve in to these sorts of topics, and I really appreciate that. If I really felt like you were setting out to be offensive, I wouldn’t listen myself, but I do, every week. The way you guys could put up something like your tribute song to your grandmother, for example, really me makes me as a listener feel like I’m just one of you guys, like the show is that once a week thing where we all hang out on the couch and shoot the breeze, and getting all serious now and worrying about being politically correct isn’t you and it isn’t “The Boom”. Sometimes we say stuff that could be interpreted offensively, but I think any long time listener knows where you guys are coming from and shouldnt get too worked up about it. Pass out the “sorry bro” fist bumps, make up, and pass me another Mountain Dew.

15. Skippy

It’s obvious that the only viable solution to this dilemma is to have a sexiest actors bracket.

BOOM.

16. tominie

adam said

Adam you legend, you took the words that were wording around my brain and put those words to print, Word. I consider myself a medium term listener, wasn’t there for Pandawatch or Humpday but was with Brown from the off. I have always thought of you all as well-balanced (at a push) family men who say the things that I’m usually thinking but get waved away in a nonchalent fashion by my long suffering missus if I dared vocalise them. I have never found you to be sexist, racist or any other ‘ist’ at any time and whilst i accept Rebs7 view is an opinion I cannot undestand or agree with any of its basis.

Much love, no homo, okay maybe just a little homo.

17. frawlzfans

It wasn’t sexist.

18. ReignbowZnPwnyZ

I have always found you guys to be really funny. This bracket was no different. Everyday that we meet new people we always judge them. Personality, intelligence, looks you name it. Whenever I look at a girl I can’t but notice her appearance and that’s what you guys did with actresses. Why would that be sexists? Women do it with men also so there should be no harm in it what whatsoever.

The definition of sexism is: attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles or discrimination or devaluation based on a person’s sex. Not once during the Podcast did I hear you discriminate or devalue women once. So no, you guys were neither sexist nor racist. The only thing you are guilty of is talking about women and being funny.

19. frawlzfans

ReignbowZnPwnyZ said

This.

20. Rebs7

You definitely didn’t offend me as such just there’s a weird thing that happens where, from listening to every SG pod you’ve ever made and every subsequent Boom pod, and you being my utter favourite of all the things I listen too, you feel you start to know the people involved and are at ease with what they say. This jarred with that.

Everything sounds more serious in text so I’m conscious of coming over as more stuffy and negative than I feel.

I love the outrageous comments during your shows and always find the shows really funny. I’m usually laughing out loud throughout the pod and wondering if the neighbours can hear me chuckling (I’m often listening whilst doing dreary gardening)

The show is a breath of fresh air that it’s adult in tone and aimed at adults. I always like the fact that if/when you laugh at your wives it’s affectionate and teasing.

So really my comment was an “oof, that made cringe” from a friend rather than “Dear Sirs, I’d like to make a complaint”

It was never going to be ‘my’ subject matter, as comparing what girls look like isn’t that gripping when you are one, but even so it doesn’t mean I instantly had a humour bypass. I just thought those last comments went over the edge and because I love you all wish they’d been sifted out in the editing.

Shan’t stop me listening one bit.

21. Rebs7

It’s quite interesting to note all the posts that say discussing who v who wins in a looks contest isn’t sexist.

We could probably chat about that, as I’d likely say that it is.

In the same way that I don’t like it when women club men together in some slightly unthinking way and use phrases such as “pah, typical men” negatively.

Trouble is, it’s twenty to one in the morning here, I’m pooped, and I have to be up for work in 5 hours :-/ and to post means I have to do maths too! 😀

22. Rebs7 said

We could probably chat about that, as I’d likely say that it is.

Thanks for the clarification my man.

I stand by the fact that discussing who v who looks better is not sexist.  Chauvinistic? Maybe.  But sexist would be which actress would be best chained up in your kitchen while raising your 6 kids (which is NOT a real job).  Now THAT would be a sexist discussion.  What we did is insensitive at the very worst. thumb

23. Rebs7

DogsDie said

Thanks for the clarification my man.

Lol  ^

Yes, maybe male chauvinism does describe it better than ‘sexism’, you’re right.

24. I re-listened to this episode, and I have no idea where the title came from.

25. zombiesauerkraut

In reference to Dogs’, Smelly’s and Yoshi’s apologies…F all that. You guys are hilarious and it’s the edgy sh*t that keeps me listening. I might have a coarser sense of humor than others, but we’ve had to deal with cancer in my family, and I say I need the cancer jokes just so that I don’t wanna F-ing kill myself. Humor has a disarming quality that has become an integral part of my personality. I understand that certain people are unable to joke or enjoy jokes in this way, but if you’re listening to a podcast that often skirts controversial topics, you should be prepared to take offense with a grain of salt. Here’s a blast from the past: “Dumb and almost racist”, a perfect description of the show we all fell in love with. We don’t really love cancer, or think women are objects, or hate minorities, or deny the holocaust…but it’s fun to act like we do 🙂

Great show. Keep em coming.